Thursday, July 17, 2008

Chicag08 Day 2 - Thursday

"Today has been an amazing day. We went to downtown Chicago to feed the homeless on the streets. We brought sandwiches, water, and chips. The students stepped up to the plate and showed multiple homeless people that they matter to us and God. At first when we were talking to Alex and Laura we were extremely nervous. Jake stepped up and prayed for Laura. He prayed that God would bless her and that she will get her kids back from her mother. He also prayed that her situation would improve. She then asked us to pray for her husband as well. Her husband went on to explain their story and how the two of them were trying to get back on their feet. The rest of the day was just spectacular! All of the food was handed out before we even sat down to eat lunch. As the day progressed, it became easier and easier to talk with the homeless. At the end of the day, we all were able to agree that the day gave us a whole new perspective. We learned to think of others rather than ourselves. We might have been nervous at first but it turned out to be quite unforgettable."

Those are words that came out from my students Neil, Chris and Jake's mind. I requested them to give me an idea on what to write on my blog as it was them who stepped up to the plate and showed me how other people matter in their lives right now. I am extremely proud of them as it was no easy task getting away from their comfort zone and just be leaders out there. We taught them about how Joshua was chosen by God to lead the Israelites after Moses died (Joshua 1:1-9). Joshua stepped up, followed God all the way without complaints nor questions. I believe the students did our Lord proud today. They did me proud! Actually, during our recap time in the evening, many of them told stories of their experiences with the homeless people they interacted with and prayed with and what stood out among all that they experienced. What stood out the most for me was actually the students and how they handled things and how they stepped up to interact and pray for them and how much they showed love and care for them.

I'm truly proud of our group this year... and it's only the second day! I wonder what God has in store for us tomorrow. I can't wait.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ganda ba dyan bro? enjoy ka lang... magpakabait ka ha... hehehe